In a world where customers have increasing bargaining power and a broad spectrum of options when choosing a product or service, companies must rely on other things to differentiate themselves from their competitors. Customer service is one of them, and it’s not of small importance. How often do you find yourself waiting on hold or refreshing your emails to respond from a customer perspective? It is said that more than 50% of IT managers spend most of their time waiting on customer service representatives.
Customer service is the continuous support from a customer or partner when buying and using a product or service. It is part of the promise given. In the EDI and IT industry, customer service is crucial, especially during the implementation phase, where projects can get very substantial and complex. No wonder why 89% of companies now expect to compete primarily based on customer experience, according to Gartner Research. Providing a pleasant and seamless experience for your customers is significant in building strong and durable relationships and can lead to growth within your organization through happier employees and customers.
What does excellent customer service look like?
Exceptional customer service is not just about selling a product or service; it’s about building a relationship with your customers. People want to be heard, valued, and treated with respect, and they also expect support from a dedicated customer support team ready to guide their customer journeys.
How can you tell if your customer service is five-star worthy? How do you make it go from satisfactory to excellent? Customer service will positively impact the customer experience if personalized, competent, convenient, and proactive. Successful professionals show their customers they care about their business. They show expert knowledge about the products and services they sell, offer fast and responsive support through any preferred communication channel, and proactively reach out to their customers to resolve issues and answer questions.
What to improve? Listen to your customers
Why is excellent customer service important?
A comprehensive approach to customer service can rapidly turn satisfied customers into loyal customers. When customer service teams go the extra mile, even customer issues become an opportunity to provide excellent service and end up with happier customers.
The benefits of good customer service
- Customer retention: People who associate your company with positive experiences are bound to return to you. Keeping customers happy is a surefire way of retaining clients.
- Customer loyalty: Positive customer experiences improve customer loyalty rates. In contrast, providing poor customer service practically offers your competitors free advertising.
- Improved reputation: Exceptional service that goes beyond customer expectations will help improve your company’s image in the eyes of everyone, from potential customers to suppliers and even the competition.
- Referrals: Happy customers are a valuable asset to any company. Besides spending money on your goods and services, they will also be eager to recommend your business to their family, friends, and acquaintances.
- Increased sales: A top-tier customer service strategy will be beneficial to profits. Meanwhile, a bad service experience will drive people away from doing business with you, damaging your bottom line.
- Upselling products: Positive customer service experiences can be used to upsell products. Likewise, customer service agents can offer personalized deals and discounts while performing other actions that influence how much a person is willing to spend.
- Happy employees: Positive professional relationships help improve employee engagement. Additionally, employee stress will be substantially reduced if they deal with happy customers constantly.
- Enhanced competitiveness: Leveraging essential customer service skills guarantees that people will choose you over other market alternatives.
Changing EDI providers – How to ensure a smooth transition
4 examples of excellent customer service
1. Prompt and timely response to customer inquiries
Customer service teams must always be ready to respond to customer feedback. When customer queries are addressed promptly, they will feel valued and eager to deal with your brand.
2. Going above and beyond to resolve customer issues or complaints
It is inevitable that, at some point, a customer may experience a problem or complaint. Going above and beyond to resolve these issues shows your dedication to customer satisfaction and helps build loyalty and trust. Taking the time to listen to the customer, addressing their concerns, and finding a solution that satisfies both parties can turn a negative experience into a positive one.
3. Offering personalized recommendations or solutions based on the customer’s needs
To consistently provide an exceptional experience, customer service reps need to understand their target audience. By offering customized recommendations or solutions, businesses can enhance the customer experience and increase customer loyalty and satisfaction.
4. Providing clear and transparent communication throughout the entire customer experience
It’s essential to communicate clearly, whether it’s through email, phone calls, or in-person interactions. Businesses can build trust and loyalty by keeping customers informed throughout the process. This can lead to positive reviews, repeat business, and referrals.
5 ways to improve customer service
1. Provide prompt and courteous responses to customer inquiries
Responding to customer inquiries should be done professionally and on time to prevent frustration and dissatisfaction. It is essential to address any concerns or questions they may have and provide helpful and informative responses.
2. Empathize with customers and actively listen to their concerns
When customers feel heard and understood, they are more likely to trust and continue doing business with a company. Listening to their concerns means giving them your full attention, asking clarifying questions, and acknowledging their feelings. Empathy involves putting yourself in their shoes and understanding their perspective. By doing this, you can provide better solutions to their problems and improve their overall experience.
3. Offer solutions to customer problems and follow up to ensure customer satisfaction
Customers appreciate when their concerns and issues are addressed promptly and effectively. Businesses can demonstrate their commitment to customer service and build customer trust by offering solutions. Following up with customers after a solution has been provided shows that the business values their feedback and is dedicated to improving their experience. It also provides an opportunity to address any additional concerns or questions the customer may have.
4. Respond to all customer feedback, including negative feedback
It is essential to provide quick responses to all types of feedback, It doesn’t matter if it is positive or negative feedback. Even if angry, unhappy customers will know their concerns are being listened to, and their opinions are valid.
5. Continuously collect feedback from customers and use it to improve service quality
Feedback gives businesses valuable insights into how customers perceive their products or services. This helps companies identify areas needing improvement and make necessary changes to enhance customer experience. Businesses can stay current with changing customer needs and expectations by continuously collecting feedback. This allows them to adapt quickly and deliver better services to their customers.
Team up with customer service professionals
At Vantree, technology services should be managed with more human connection in mind. While many alternative providers offer automated and robotic customer support, we feel more human, authentic, and honest customer service is the key to creating memorable engagements. Understanding our customer’s business, concerns, and objectives plays a big part in building a successful long-term collaboration. At Vantree, we know the value of our relationship with our network of trading partners and always compensate them for their time and valuable efforts with unparalleled 24/7 team-based support and collaboration.
And the advantages of using this personalized, authentic approach have been significant. Both our customers and partners benefit from outstanding customer service: faster problem resolutions, better customer satisfaction, loyalty, and retention, and increased brand image and reputation. The benefits are equally shared between the service provider and the customer, and in the end, everyone gains from this long-standing win-win relationship.
Learn more about how Vantree’s customer focus sets us apart with our 24/7 team-based support and expert advice.Ever wonder what it’s like to work with a reliable and responsive B2B integration provider? See what our customers are saying about us Metro Canada Logistics – Vantree Testimonial